The eligibility overview which follows is intended to provide only GENERAL information regarding eligibility criteria. You should always feel free to apply for General Assistance -Transitional Assistance regardless of whether you think your circumstances make you eligible. In fact, it is your legal right to be able to apply for General Assistance-Transitional Assistance.
Applicants must meet financial and non-financial factors for eligibility as contained in the Township’s General Assistance handbook.
You may be eligible for General Assistance-Transitional Assistance if:
- You reside within City of Champaign Township (Champaign city limits), although a residential address is not required.
Being homeless is not a barrier to receiving general assistance-transitional assistance if you are otherwise eligible.
- If you live outside the City of Champaign, you should apply at the township office of the township you reside in. The Champaign County Clerk’s Office (384-3724) can tell you which township you live in.
- You are at least 18 years old and not older than 64.
- You are not categorically eligible for cash benefits (such as TANF) from Family Community Resource Center (formerly IDHS).
- You are not receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Social Security Disability Income (SSDI) from the Social Security Administration.
- You are unable to work due to a life threatening condition.
You may NOT be eligible for the full grant if:
- You have income from another source.
- Your benefits are pro-rated for a partial month.
- You have a GA overpayment.